We realize our need for light when wintertime arrives, and it is dark from 5 p.m. It’s depressing, mainly since the morning light appears late. If you also live in an area where the sun is not often there, seasonal depression is guaranteed. In the middle of summer, light and heat provide the vitamins essential for our well-being, we can feel it directly in the vitality that we find during beautiful summer days. In winter, it is possible to continue to enjoy the benefits of light with The Sad Light Bulbs.
(Light therapy lamps) given for this purpose. If you do not want to invest in this type of lamps, be aware that you can replace your bulbs with full-spectrum bulbs which will also have a positive effect on your well-being. The current trend mark for this kind of lamp is the vitality bulb which is particularly well-calibrated for the light spectrum. However the need for light can be more critical, especially if you live in the city with work in an office or a store, it isn’t effortless to benefit from a light bath during active hours. To do this, choose a suitable light therapy lamp; to do this, here are the current trendy products plus buying guide, and recommendations for the 7 Best SAD Light Bulbs for Seasonal Affective Disorders or Winter Blues.
SAD bulbs are beneficial to prevent winter depression; the light therapy bulbs bring a feeling of well-being every day. To help you choose the one that’s right for you, here is our guide and pick of the 5 best light therapy bulbs on the market.
How to choose a correct light therapy lamp or SAD Bulb?
To make your self feel satisfied with your purchase; it is recommended to opt for a powerful, practical and durable SAD bulb.
Power – The intensity of the scattered or distributed light is measured in lux. For example, the lighting of a beautiful summer day is 100,000 lux at noon, standard lighting is 50 to 100 lux, and that of a candle 1 m away is 1 lux. The charging time depends on the power of the device; a powerful model recharges faster. Thus, the battery of a 2,500 lux lamp recharges in 2 hours and that of 10,000 lux in less than half an hour.
Form – A lux therapy lamp comes in the form of a luminous wall, desk lamp or glasses. Prefer the bright wall if space allows, it can be used by two or in the family during breakfast. The desk lamp is intended for one person only while that person is working. The glasses can be taken everywhere, but are not very comfortable.
Longevity – Remember to check the specifications that are often mentioned by the manufacturer. The lifespan of a neon lamp can reach more than 10,000 hours of activity, which ensures you several winters.
Standards – The CE medical label, in particular, 93/42 / EEC, is required as a manufacturing standard. It is to be assured that the device does not emit a harmful ultraviolet ray. The IP44 standard means that the device does not fear splashing water, but does not guarantee its waterproofness.
What other criteria to consider? – These little extras make the difference by making using your device even more comfortable.
Intensity dimmer – A dimmable lamp is very suitable when the user finds the light too strong or in the case of a shared lamp. Some brands have up to 10 positions that can be memorized.
Electronic timer – The model with the timer is very effective for daily care. No need to take a look at the watch every 5 min, the device emits a signal according to the programmed duration.
When and how to use a light therapy bulb?
The best time to do light therapy is in the morning upon waking. With a rather strong light lamp of 10,000 lux, half an hour is enough. If you use a light therapy bulb for 2 hours or all morning at the office, opt for a medium intensity light. Never use this light in the evening; it may disturb your sleep. For those who have diabetes or a retinal problem, it is always essential to consult the advice of your doctor.
Either way, place the lamp in a way that lets light easily reach your eyes. And keep your eyes open without looking directly at the lamp. Follow the repeated operation every day, and the first results will be noticeable after three days. Therapy should be started in the middle of fall and not stopped until late winter to avoid the winter blues. Practice for the whole year is advised to those who work at night or shift schedules.
Our selection of 5 Best SAD Light Bulbs
1. ALZO Full Spectrum CFL SAD Light Bulb Daylight White Light
ALZO Joyce Led Light Full Spectrum Bulbs are commonly used to treat SAD, or Seasonal Affective Disorder, and Winter Blues. SAD is a medical condition identified by a lack of light that occurs during the winter season, especially in northern areas. People affected by SAD benefit from exposure to full-spectrum lighting regularly, and this is a proven way to help in the treatment of SAD, leading the research in this area, Dr. Author of the Norman Rosenthalbook. “Winter’s Blues.” ALZO CFLs and LED light bulbs can be used at frame rates up to 1000 fps flicker-free, continuous white bright light sources with low consumption of power. This Energy Saving LED 5500k bulb for SAD is in our hotlist. It will bring light to your life for sure!
- Emits a crisp, bright white light ideal for reading and tasks requiring visual efficiency;
- A natural daytime color balanced temperature of 5500K;
- 9-inch ALZO lamp harp will fit this bulb;
- Output: 1300 lumens;
- ENERGY STAR compliant – about 10000 hours lifespan;
- A flicker-free bulb;
- Wattage: 27 Watts;
- Voltage: 117 Volts;
- Shape: Spiral;
- Dimensions: 17.8 x 7.6 x 7.6 cm;
- Weight: 567 g
- It reduces Winter Blues and Seasonal Affective Disorder or SAD effects;
- A large lamp, however, it produces very little heat;
- Energy-saving uses almost 1/4 of the power of similar tungsten bulbs.
2. NorbSMILE Advanced Full Spectrum A19 LED Light Bulb
Yes – the winter months are a somewhat stressful time for the majority of the population: fatigue, lack of interest, sleep disturbances (or, on the other hand, excessive sleep) and feelings of hopelessness arise more easily. Now say goodbye to SAD after using NorbSMILE Advanced Full Spectrum A19 LED Light Bulb; The use of this 5400k natural bright light LED bulb with low-cost energy saving in your everyday life from morning to evening wherever you work proves to be a beneficial complement and without side effect to other types of treatments. A durable up to 12 years life will be necessary for your winter days, Our recommendation is there, light up your day with NorbSMILE Full Spectrum!
- The vivid light spectrum is similar to natural daylight, without the damaging UV rays;
- A natural daytime color balanced temperature of 5400K;
- To light up your areas, places or anywhere you work or live during the day;
- A19 versatile compact LED bulb compatible with almost all fixings
- Output: 680 lumens;
- Durable, designed to last 12 years, on average 4 hours/day;
- ENERGY STAR compliant – about 12000 hours lifespan;
- Beam Angle: 220 Degree;
- Wattage: 11 Watts;
- Voltage: 120 volts;
- Dimensions: 6.4 x 6.4 x 12.7 cm
- Weight: 117 gm.
- Helps synchronize circadian rhythms (sleep/wake);
- The Happy Light spectrum helps to fight against winter bruises, seasonal affective disorders.
- Unique light spectrum to feel fresh, energetic, happy, and productive (unlike regular lights which can cause drowsiness, lethargy, restlessness);
- Low cost to use, estimated annual cost is only $ 1.76 when running for 4 hours/day;
- Warranty: 3 Years.
3. Square Perfect 3077 Compact Fluorescent Full Spectrum SAD Bulb
The low-energy Square Perfect 3077 bulb consumes 85 watts for a lighting power equivalent to that of a conventional 300-watt bulb. The daylight spiral bulb restores soft and homogeneous daylight with Optimal color temperature makes this bulb perfect and ideal for photography and SAD light therapy. With a color temperature of 5500°K, which perfectly reproduces daylight.
- 85W daylight fluorescent, compact bulb;
- Equivalent to a conventional 300W bulb;
- The color temperature of 5500 ° K (Kelvin);
- Integrated electronic ballast;
- Dimensions: 4 x 4 x 10.5 inches;
- Low energy bulb with low consumption;
- Emits very little heat (low-temperature);
- Small Spiral Design.
- Quality daylight;
- Perfect for photography;
- These bulbs are highly ranked and suggested by psychologists for SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) light therapy;
- Efficient and economical;
- Warranty: 30 Days.
4. Sylvania 24683 – F40DSGN50-40 Watt T12 5000K Full Spectrum Fluorescent Light Bulb
Sylvania 40 Watt T12 5000K Full Spectrum Fluorescent Light Bulb provides bright sunlight, ideal for artificial daylight and suggested for SAD light therapy. It is a convenient and budget product solution. Whether you are seeing for natural daylight for your place, workshop, or seeking a solution for sleep deprivation and other devastating symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder-SAD, plus very useful for storage, and laundry spaces. The 48 “(1.22 m) F40 T12 tubes use 40 W of energy and have a lifespan of many years. The Sylvania 24683 Light Bulbs will definitely match your expectations.
- T12 Medium Bi-Pin (G13) Base Designer Fluorescent Sylvania Light Bulb;
- 5,000K Rapid Start Full Spectrum;
- Wattage: 40 watts 48″ length (4 ft);
- Voltage: 120 volts;
- Life: up to 20,000 hours;
- Dimensions: 49 x 7 x 7 inches;
- Color: White light, daylight;
- Material: Glass.
- Budget-friendly, durability for years;
- Natural daylight for your place, workshop, or seeking a solution for sleep deprivation and other devastating symptoms of Seasonal Affective Disorder-SAD.
5. Indoor Sunshine Single 15-watt Spiral Bulb
Indoor Sunshine Single 15-watt bulb is a balanced full-spectrum lamp, is available in 3-way (20/23/30 W). Indoor Sunshine bulbs are the resembling to natural sunlight. Pure Full Spectrum Light for Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and PMS. PTSD, ADD/ADHD, Autism. Studies show and users suggest an increase in the immune system, alertness, energy, productivity, visual acuity, student performance. Decrease: depression, anxiety, stress, sleep disturbances, migraines, sugar, starch, alcohol, stress, fatigue, aggression, PMS, sad. Sun itself was the blueprint for interior lighting of the sun.
- Balanced and Full Spectrum Light;
- 5,000K Balanced Full Spectrum;
- 95 CRI 5300 Kelvin: Very equivalent to the daylight;
- Better Vision and Color Match;
- Standard 3-way lamps (equivalent to 75/100/150 W incandescent)
- Long service life: Up to 10,000 hours;
- Dimensions: 6.5 x 2.6 x 2 inches;
- Material: Glass.
- The Closest Match to Natural Sunlight;
- Greater Visual Clarity;
- Users suggested and Excellent for SAD and Premenstrual Syndrome, PTSD, ADD/ADHD, Autism.
Summary: Seasonal affective disorder (SAD, therefore, seasonal depression or winter depression in North America) is a type of depression that occurs in the fall or winter and is believed to be due to the absence of sunlight during these months.
During the cold season, the days are short and the sky often dark. This lack of light has a negative effect on our mood. Sleep disorder, waking sadness and irritability are some of the symptoms of seasonal depression. Light therapy, also called lux therapy, can be followed in the hospital or at home by purchasing a special lamp. The light therapy lamp is designed to provide maximum light to prevent or remedy the light deficiency.
If someone you know and love were struggling with Winter Blues or SAD, you’d do anything to help. Even it’s time to do the same for yourself. Thankfully, in current years, light therapy study has made many headways. There is surely no reason to suffer from winter blues anymore. We hope you found this guide valuable and relevant to your dilemmas.